List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-07-08 16:06:02

Michael Pyne wrote:
> And if they don't have more than a vague knowledge of what a kilobyte is, what
> does it matter (and more importantly, gain) what a kibibyte is?  Who else uses
> kibibyte?  Nobody!

???

*Everybody* uses kibibytes. Some (KDE, GNU) actually call them that;
many mislabel them (if they ever mention the full name at all). Besides
hard disk manufacturers, I don't know who uses kilobytes (well,
gigabytes rather, since HDD's aren't measured in kxxxbytes these days).

The "nerds" are finally pushing people to not misrepresenting units, and
IMO this is a good thing. It's not going to happen the other way around.

(I'm also unimpressed by what M$ is doing. Keep in mind you're talking
about a company based in the country that still uses the bloody
*imperial* measurement system; adjust your expectations accordingly.)

--
Matthew
.sig omitted due to budget cuts.