List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       David Nadlinger <david.nadlinger () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-01 17:11:15

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> Now, can we stop arguing the preference of MB or MiB and just get the option?

I am definitely in favour of "just getting the option" – imho there is
no other reasonable solution to this problem, given that it is not
very likely that we will agree on either option in the near future. I
would suggest offering "MiB", "MB (SI)", and "MB (traditional)" along
with a manual entry which gives a brief overview about the topic.

Allan Sendfeld Jensen wrote:
> Using MB in the sense of megabyte as 1000000 is incorrect because it is not
> how MB is used. Looking up rules in a book and using them pedantically, does
> mean you are not lying.

Sorry, but I do not quite like being called a liar for no apparent
reason – I am well aware that the "i units" are not exactly widely
used, but that does not mean that they are /wrong/. For what it is
worth, they are even recommended in IEC 60027-2/IEEE 1541.
Furthermore, please do not forget that both definitions, "1 KB = 1024
bytes" and "1 KB = 1000 bytes", are equally "right" resp. "wrong" from
a "Language is defined by how people use it"-point of view. Just walk
into your local consumer electronics store – at least here in Austria,
you will find about as many product descriptions using either
definition.

Michael Howell wrote:
> Most don't even notice the extra i. If they do, it's easy to look it up.

This is exactly the reason why I would propose using the current
setting as a default (given that we will really make it configurable,
of course).

Personally, I really don't see the point in using the same unit symbol
(KB) for two different units. If I was to find a universally used
definition, I would propose using kB, MB, GB (note the lower case "k")
for the power-of-ten units and KiB, MiB, GiB for the power-of-two
units. But I suppose this will stay a vision, at least for the next
several years... ;)

David