List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2009-07-01 15:42:10

On Wednesday 01 July 2009, Josh Berry wrote:
> This is the one major point that's been missing from this discussion
> -- in fact, most operating systems are using the SI units INCORRECTLY.
>  The storage vendors are the ones who got it right -- the "23-year-old
> marketing dweeb" actually (for once) knows what he's talking about.

Language is defined by how people use it.

Using MB in the sense of megabyte as 1000000 is incorrect because it is not
how MB is used. Looking up rules in a book and using them pedantically, does
mean you are not lying.

The common use MB and GB is well-defined, even if more complex than needed,
but that is how language is. Complex, and full of exceptions.

Now, can we stop arguing the preference of MB or MiB and just get the option?

`Allan