List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       Josh Berry <des () condordes ! net>
Date:       2009-07-01 14:42:41

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 07:18, David Nadlinger<david.nadlinger@gmail.com> wrote:

> I /strongly/ support option 2 from Daniel's list (show the "i"
> prefixes for 2^x based units as we are doing right now). Why? Simply
> because it's the only "correct" thing to do, in terms of being
> supported by other arguments than "we/they always did it like that".

Seconded.

This is the one major point that's been missing from this discussion
-- in fact, most operating systems are using the SI units INCORRECTLY.
 The storage vendors are the ones who got it right -- the "23-year-old
marketing dweeb" actually (for once) knows what he's talking about.

Let's be correct.  Whether that means we report storage in terms of
true SI units (1000b == 1kb), or in terms of properly-labelled binary
units I don't care.   But we are effectively telling a white lie by
using "KB" et al for binary units.

IMO there is no excuse for having promulgated this DOS-era mistake
(shortcut?) for as long as we have.  I understand the technical
reasons for using binary units internally, but presenting them as if
they were SI units has only contributed to the type of confusion that
spawned this thread.

-- Josh