List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and
From:       Tom Albers <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-01 8:10:27

At Wednesday 01 July 2009 03:01, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 June 2009 18:42:28 Michael Pyne wrote:
> > >
> > > But continuing with fuzzy language cannot be an option, either. With KB
> > > and MB used for both binary and decimal units, users are confused about
> > > things like 500 GB harddrives magically shrinking to 465,6 GB because the
> > > latter one is 465,6 GiB. Consistent naming of the units brings more
> > > transparency in the end, and frankly, I doubt that anyone really notices
> > > the "i" if he does not know about that.
> >
> > It's not fuzzy.  Everyone knew what MB, KB, etc. meant with regards to
> > computers, otherwise they wouldn't have been the units used for decades.
>
> And since this has been bugging me since 4.0 came out, I finally decided to
> take time out to hack together a fix (attached).
>
> With the patch, you should be able to add "HistoricalBinaryUnits=true" to your
> $KDEHOME/share/config/kdeglobals and applications which start up afterwards
> should use KB/MB/etc. instead of KiB/MiB/etc.
>
> If there's interest I'll forward to kde-core-devel for evaluation as well.

Interest!

It's about managing expectations. My father was in doubt if he should buy a 350GB or \
500GB disk, he decides to go for the 500, installs it and voila it appears to be less \
than 500 in his software. It should simply print 500GB, as it is the truth and what \
he expects to see as confirmation of the label of the disk.

That it is less in GiB's that's true too, but why show less and an unknown \
abbrevation?

I support the patch and support making it default.

Toma