Aaron puts it very nicely. Whatever information zeitgeist loggers store in the zeitgeist database in KDE it should be put into Nepomuk using a nice ontology. then this information can be used by any other nepomuk enabled application and Zeitgeist can also use other information than only the usage times. I am happy to help with it. Cheers, Sebastian On Saturday 27 June 2009 22:35:12 Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > On Saturday 27 June 2009, Shane Fagan wrote: > > Well we have our own semantic framework ish. We're using a sqlite > > database to store file metadata and that we plan on adding support for > > tracker's RDF store in the future. Nepomuk kinda does something similar > > to zeigeist I think. > > the Nepomuk ontologies and query system are being standardized and will be > replacing the role(s) that xesam was trying to fill. it's rather complete > system (from the semantics side of things) and has a _lot_ of work put into > it by a number of very dedicated and knowledgeable individuals. KDE is > already been instrumenting several of our applications to feed into > Nepomuk, not least of which is akonadi fro PIM > (email/calendaring/contacts/etc). if it all possible, it would be great to > zeitgeist be able to work with the Nepomuk ontologies and stores. > > that said, it'd be pretty cool to see a zeitgeist widget written in Qt/KDE. > so to your original question: > > "I was wondering where I should start in making the widget so I thought id > ask." > > from a UI POV, you could dive in with PyQt/PyKDE (iirc zeitgeist is written > in Python, correct?) and should be able to get up and going in very little > time. > > if you would like a place to house it, we can certainly get you svn access, > though i imagine it could be hosted with the rest of zeitgeist even easier. > > as for loggers ... that will be a bit more complicated i think as it will > really require instrumenting a large number of applications, each with > their own internals. this is, in part, why we chose to go with Nepomuk: it > gives us a common target, it's platform neutral, it's a complete solution > that others can also tap into and it is the result of an EU funded project > so there's good science behind it. > > i would guess that it's much, much less work (and far more likely to > succeed with upstream) to simply allow Zeitgeist to use Nepomuk stores than > it would be to go around and write loggers for enough applications for it > to be interesting to use. you can then just let the app devs provide > support for their own apps via Nepomuk :) >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<