List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: rssnow suggestions
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-17 0:03:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 16 June 2009, Karthik Paithankar wrote:
> I have a few suggestions for rssnow widget (plasmoid)

as Brad noted, this isn't the best place. if you'd like to work on
implementing these things, plasma-devel@kde.org is a good place to discuss it.
if you're making a request in hopes that someone else will do it, the file a
feature request on bugs.kde.org.

> 1. Currently it is not possible to resize rssnow to whatever x & y
> dimension

this would be a nice way to control the font size...

> 2. Ability to change the font sizes. I use rssnow in the screensaver/widget
> window. Having a large font size would make it nice.

this should probably be linked to #1

> 3. To reduce system resources, is it possible to scroll only in "show
> dashboard" or "on mouse-hover" mode. Scrolling consumes a lot of CPU

perhaps you'd prefer the News applet which doesn't do any scrolling? rssnow's
author wants it to be fancy (which is why we also provide a simple one, too,
called "News").

there might be a way to link scrolling to newness of entries ... but i'd
really prefer to not see a configuration option for this (hello, clutter!).
here it uses 2-5% cpu for ~.5s when it scrolls, so that doesn't seem _too_
bad. there may be room for optimizations in there yet. maybe you could take a
look?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se