List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Relicensing another author's work
From:       Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-12 16:27:02

2009/6/12 Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk>:
> I think the licensing policy is still "no new code" should be added that
> wasn't both gplv2 and gplv3 compatible, and we should slowly work
> towards making teh entire code gplv2 and gplv3 compatible.
>
> If your applicationnn is a mix of gplv2orlater and gplv2only, it is
> effectively gplv2only.
>
> For example, libsmb, a requirement of parts of kdelibs, is gplv3. If
> your application is effectively gplv2only, you can't link against such
> parts of kdelibs.
Does this mean that any program that uses, say KFileDialog, can't link
to it, since it may be linked to libsmb to view samba folders or
something?

2009/6/12 Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org>:
> Any new code must be either gplv2-or-later or gplv2-or-v3-or-approved-by-
> e.V.
>
> See 4 and 5 in http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy.

Basically you all are saying that new code that's GPLv2-only isn't
allowed into the code base. What about old code, like in this case?
According to Sune it makes the whole Ark GPLv2-only and (I think) we
are actually not allowed to even open an open file dialog.

Besides, some Ark plugins are BSD-licensed and probably link to parts
of the code that are GPL-licensed. If it's GPLv2 or GPLv2+ it doesn't
cause any licensing trouble, right?