Anthony J Moulen wrote: > You are aware that most browsers do not actually authenticate a > certificate. They only ensure that the certificate was signed by a > signer that it trusts. ...which is a form of authentication, no? You have verified that the certificate was confirmed valid by a (theoretically) trusted party. > In a true security sense you should also be > querying the revocation list from the authority to ensure that the > certificate hasn't been compromised and reported. True. Being signed by a CA doesn't ensure security (perfect security is nearly impossible anyway; someone could be using a key logger), but it's still different from having no assurance at all where you are sending data. > The other issue is that the browser doesn't ensure that what you > typed was correct. Firefox does, on several levels, by tracking how many times you have visited a site, and if you have given a site special permissions. (And yes, I /do/ make use of these.) Good features to add to konqueror, if you ask me... -- Matthew Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message bodies. -- Never give up on learning >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<