List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Select & middle-mouse Paste Fails Sometimes
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-06-11 15:24:39

Robin Atwood wrote:
> On Thursday 11 June 2009, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Does it work when you select with the mouse? Does it /not/ work when you
>> select with the keyboard? I think this may be what you are seeing; it
>> seems keyboard selection does not set the clipboard selection.
>
> It doesn't work about half the time with both the mouse and the keyboard, as
> stated in previous posts.

I didn't see where you differentiated between select-with-mouse and
select-with-keyboard.

>> Although... this seems to generally be how Qt works (but not gtk).
>
> Do you mean Qt4, there was no problem with Qt3/KDE3.

Yes. I don't think I /have/ Qt3 on this box ;-). I have tested kjots,
kopete, konqueror, krunner, and (Qt) designer; select-by-keyboard does
not seem to set the selection in any Qt4 application.

>> So while I'm not sure this is actually a bug, I'd still say you can go
>> ahead and file it as one against kate(part) if you want, and haven't
>> done so already. (Especially as I believe katepart needs to change even
>> if Qt were to change.)
>
> It's not just kate, the problem occurs selecting text on konsole and konqueror
> and, I guess, any other application.

Konsole I've noticed to be "finicky", not so much kate (except that
select-by-keyboard doesn't work, but I believe that doesn't work ever,
and is "by design", at least as far as it doesn't work because it is not
coded *to* work). I assume konq is using standard widgets, however,
which implies a possible Qt bug.

Are you /sure/ it isn't that it only works when you select with the
mouse? :-)

--
Matthew
Never give up on learning