List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ssl auth failure gui: does "continue" do what I think it does?
From:       Jeff Mitchell <mitchell () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-09 17:49:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I would prefer the paranoid Firefox way in all web browsers. Then users
> complained to the websites -- or the webmasters noticed the problem -- and
> someone fixed the issue.
>
> But I agree with you that we can do this with two clicks, a nasty error
> message and forcing the user to review the certificate. Like:
>
> "The website you're trying to connect to is using a certificate that
> contains errors:"
>    "The certificate has expired"
>    "The certificate is not signed by a trusted source"
>    "The certificate is self-signed"
>    "The certificate is not issued to this server"
>    etc.
>
>     "Review certificate and continue"  "Cancel"
>
> Then show the certificate and ask:
>    "Ignore errors temporarily"
>    "Always ignore these errors for this certificate"
>    "Cancel"

Yes, that looks pretty good.  Possibly with links to a web page or some
help text describing things in more detail.  Less advanced users may not
understand why self-signed certificates is an error (or even what they are).

> Maybe the first message could be shown in a webpage just like Firefox and
> now Konqueror errors. But the ability to show it in a dialog is necessary
> because of other SSL connections (like IMAP).

Showing it in a dialog in both cases is beneficial because you can not
only re-use the same dialog (so the user doesn't have to parse and
understand two methods of dealing with the cert), but the dialog can
share the same accelerators/hotkeys too.

--Jeff