List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Inconsistency - discussion
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-02 3:47:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 01 June 2009, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Monday 01 June 2009 13:16 schreef u:
> >   What integration and coherency problems do you see among KDE apps?
> > What are the most important things that should be done?
>
> Just to give some examples:
>
> KWin and Plasma have all kinds of neat effects, for example the way you
> configure your panel. This is completely different to any configuration
> system in any other application.

generally not applicable to many other apps, however.

> KPassivePopup does not look at KNotification.

KNotification can use KPassivePopup, however. (so, the reverse direction
you're looking at it from .. :)

> Shortcuts for navigating between tabs in konqueror / konsole / whatever app
> with ktabbar are not equal ( people argue they are different applications,
> so it's ok to have different shortcuts, I don't agree )

konsole is understandable due to quirks of shortcuts in the CLI; the rest of
the apps aren't.

> If you choose quit from an application you don't get a confirmation dialog,
> but you do get (an annoying one) if you close a system tray application.

it's more annoying to quite an app by accident; we used to get bug reports
about this by the truck load until i introduced this annoying dialog. ;)

> Konsole does not have a menu bar which can access the menu items
> individually with a shortcut.

conflicts with shortcuts in the shell?

> Copy & Paste is still very hard to use and acts differently in for example
> konsole or krdc.

konsole is a special case for these kinds of things; i'd probably not use it
as an example for consistency.

> Tooltips of systemtray items all look differently.

the new system tray protocol is designed to fix that kind of thing.

> The search bar in Konqi (ctrl-f) is not consistent with other searchbars we
> use throughout kde (it's at the bottom and has different layout).

katepart also uses this same approach; find dialogs should die, die, die.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se