List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KLineEdit Security
From:       "Martin T. Sandsmark" <sandsmark () samfundet ! no>
Date:       2009-05-21 20:10:33

On Thursday 21. May 2009 19:18:15 you wrote:
> the key event is encrypted (from the keyboard HW).

The key events are irrelevant, I'm talking about compromising the code that's
showing the dialog to the user. What decides if the keyboard input should be
encrypted?

And what stops the malicious library from adjusting the command that is being
executed, and just passing along the encrypted input from the keyboard?

And how about just showing completely bogus dialogs? For example simply
adjusting the PATH, so when you launch "systemsettings", you get
~/.haxx0red/systemsettings, which looks like the normal version, only that it
shows a fake kdesudo (or whatever) dialog.
Or introducing bogus .desktop files, since I guess most users launch stuff
from the menu.

And this is highly theoretical, a concrete implementation would probably have
way more attack vectors.

--
martin t. sandsmark