List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC project: Crash Reporting 2.0
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-03-24 10:04:24

On Friday 20 March 2009, Aleksey "AlekSi" Palazhchenko wrote:
> Hi Boudewijn Rempt,
>
> (sorry, no idea where is name and where is surname... :/ )

Boudewijn is my first name, Rempt my surname. Same order as with you, in fact.

> Thanks for quick response.
>
> >> I see many sub-projects there:
> >> google-breakpad itself:
> >>  - to add support for dwarf symbols in GNU/Linux (maybe guys from
> >> GNOME will help?)
> >
> > Afaik, Gnome stopped being interested in breakpad, but I might be
> > mistaken. Anyway, breakpad does support linux quite well, so there's no
> > immediate need for it that I know of.
>
> Breakpad currently supports only stabs symbols in GNU/Linux, but Mac
> version supports dwarf. I want to port this code. Also there is no
> support for x86_64 in trunk, but patch is available in
> google-breakpad's issue tracker.
>
> >> kdelibs:
> >> - crash handler should be installed directly in KApplication
> >> constructor (it will be possible to switch it off by command line
> >> parameter)
> >
> > I'd say: before the KApplication is constructed.
>
> There will be 'funny' problems with locales if we will do anything
> before creating QApplication. We discovered this in Psi recently.

Ah, cool. I'll check psi  & test my own code then. Thanks for the tip. One
weird thing I noticed is that unless I instantiate a QTextStream before
registering the exception handler, it doesn't get registered on Linux.

> >> minidumps receiver (server-side):
> >>  - to implement check for duplicates and integration with bugzilla
> >
> > This is quite complex, in my experience, and needs quite a bit of server
> > power. Integration with bugzilla is the only part I think where there is
> > no code at all for. The socorro suite of web apps seems to work well.
>
> I'm planing to check for duplicates by N (~5) first calls below SIGV
> emition.

That would be very cool.

> >> I will try to finish most of these sub-projects. I already did some
> >> preliminary implementation of breakpad-qt
> >> (http://github.com/AlekSi/breakpad-qt/) and tested it with Psi Instant
> >> Messenger. It works. :)
> >
> > Oh, cool! I will look at that, too, for my own purposes :-)
>
> It's really preliminary and not ready for merge with master branch
> yet. But I will finish it.

I think it would be a very useful project for KDE. In fact, I'd wanted to
integrate breakpad with KOffice myself. We're a project that has quite a lot
of crasher bugs left...