List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Trunk now depends on Qt 4.5 (Richard Moore)
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-02-19 16:57:10

Shantanu Jha wrote:
> In my case, the problem is solved by deleting the build directory,
> updating the sources (including qt-copy), and then rebuilding, which
> ensures that the new Qt is used.

Ah, yes, how silly of us to forget to suggest that :-).

I always nuke *everything* when qt-copy gets upgraded (by which I mean
major changes, not just new patches... especially ones like 4.4.x ->
4.5-rcX).

Specifically, what I do is:
- delete all build dirs, including qt-copy
- reconfigure/rebuild qt-copy
- delete qt-copy *install* dir
- rebuild ¹ qt-copy
- reconfigure/rebuild: kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase
- delete kde *install* dir
- rebuild ²: kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase
- reconfigure/rebuild everything else

 ¹ Actually just 'make install' is enough, but I have a function 'qm'
that handles switching to the right dir, etc, so I am lazy (and the
nothing-to-do build is reasonably quick).

 ² In this case, I do like to do an actual build, to force re-linking to
the fresh libraries.

IMO it's good practice to do this occasionally to clean out any cruft.
It's also good to do it after major changes to qt-copy; a second reason
which also makes a handy excuse for doing it for the first reason.

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. What you are experiencing is not a problem; it is an