List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma::DataEngine not automatically updating
From:       Trever Fischer <wm161 () wm161 ! net>
Date:       2009-02-18 19:40:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 02:19:11 pm Shantanu Jha wrote:
> I tried modifying the timeout passed in
> kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/system-monitor/applet.cpp to 100, but
> still it doesn't update the interface list, i.e. ppp0 is still not
> getting detected. Seems that the update after the timeout is only
> partial.

connectSource() has nothing to do with the actual list of sources.
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Shawn Starr <shawn.starr@rogers.com>
wrote:

There is no workaround for this bug.
> > There is no public API to push updates, if you set a timeout when you
> > connectSource() it will only update after the timer expires. There is no
> > force trigger update mechanism in Plasma that I know of yet.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shawn.

A possible solution to this is to install a timer in the engine that
periodically polls KSysguardd for a list of sensors, but a more efficient one
would for functionality to be added to KSysguard that notifies clients when new
sensors become available or disappear.