List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Wanna help make KDE better?
From:       O <illogical1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-09 23:53:48

On the mac of course. Eheh.

Hi, my name's Orville but you can just call me illogic-al. For the
foreseeable future, or until I lose interest I'm your new,
self-appointed "mac dude". I like short beaches on the walk, and my
interests include improving the overall "user experience" on OS X.
This might have a little something to do with the fact that I'm more
of a user. Take from that what you will.

In the interest of openness and not wanting to waste my or your time
(because I have a crapload o' mails to various -devel lists queued
up), I'd like to get clarification on "some things".

1. Are there any goals with respect to KDE on OS X? At the moment it
just seems to be some dude in his basement (or studio as the case may
be) providing binaries for whoever finds it interesting.

2. Some programs like Kate have unresizeable windows. Rumor has it
this bug lies somewhere in kdelibs  (I made this rumor up btw). A
workaround was added to amarok which was to add a QSizeGrip to the
mainwindow. Anyone have any idea how to really fix it? The reason I
wouldn't consider this as a "real" solution is because whenever the
Mac style is used, two sizegrips show up. The second one being in the
upper left hand side of the window.

3. And speaking of style, KDE programs don't fit it very well on OS X
because they use the default Qt Mac style. In 4.1 there was a Mac
style that looked quite similar to the oxygen style (minus its
rendering glitches, plus some slowness when compared to Qt's Mac
style). It looks like that's not available anymore but I heard through
the grapevine that a Mac theme is actually planned. F'real?

4. A lot of stuff runs on OS X and runs nicely BUUUUUUUUUUT, due to
some linuxisms (like expecting programs to be in $PATH) the user
experience starts to deteriorate after a whiles. After y'all get back
to me on point number the first I'll elaborate (or not). We'll pretty
much need to add the .app dirs to the $PATH

5. How come kdeinit4 can't start nepomukservicestub (i think it
requires a script which doesn't work on OS X)? maybe this is related
to #4.

Thank you and Good night!