List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Graphics system with Qt 4.5
From:       Alexis_Ménard <menard () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-02-07 12:23:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org> wrote:

> Alexis M=E9nard wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >

> >Since qt-copy has switch to 4.5, we have now different graphics systems.
> > We can also build by default Qt with the graphicssystem raster but some
> > applications should run with the x11 engine (aka native). One example
> > is KWin, that use X a lot. More, X screensavers has no point to run
> > with it. Basically all applications that assume that a QPixmap is a
> > XPixmap sould be updated or should use the x11 graphicssystem.
> >
> >Should we for instance set in some desktop files/main of applications
> > the graphicssystem that the app has to use?
>
> The application should choose the graphic system it needs when starting
> up. The problem is we neglected to add a function in Qt for doing that.

We should add a function obviously. To change the graphicssystem at the
runtime. It is actually painfullm command line doesn't solve the problem an=
more the compilation option (where you can set raster by default) doesn't
solve any problem.

We should have something like setGraphicsSystem in QApplication. It should
be possible to do it quite easily i guess.