List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Translating custom XML format
From:       Vladimir Kuznetsov <ks.vladimir () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-02 13:43:23

On Monday 02 February 2009 16:32:57 Parker Coates wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 08:29, Vladimir Kuznetsov <ks.vladimir@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > My application uses data files with custom XML-based format which
> > includes user-visible strings, and I want to make it translatable.
> > Currently that files are translated by creating copies in l10n
> > subdirectories in application data directory, but translators wants
> > normal .po - based translation mechanism.
>
>  You might want to look into how the translation of .kcfg files is handled.
AFAIK, messages from .kcfg files are extracted into common .po file and then
translations are obtained using i18n. But it means putting the whole
untranslated text into compiled program binary, which I want to avoid. What I
want is to create .po files for translators and then automatically put
translated text back into xml files (just like it works for docbook).

--
      Best Regards,
        Vladimir