List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kcachegrind-callgrind] bugs and questions
From:       Josef Weidendorfer <Josef.Weidendorfer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2009-01-28 10:33:00

Dear adu,

On Wednesday 28 January 2009, adu wrote:
> First of all I will ask a question.
>
> Where and how I can get the latest build of kcachegrind tool if:
>
> My Linux OS can't be updated up to latest release due to some admin's
> restrictions.
>
> On site http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/html/Home.html
> <http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/html/Home.html%20exists%20only%200.4.6>
> /  exists only 0.4.6 version of this tool.
>
> But I know that in the latest KDE4.2 (package kdesdk) you have improved
> version of this tool.

KCachegrind is currently developed in the KDE repository. The current version
there uses KDE4/Qt4. The version in KDE 4.2 should work quite reasonable with
KDE4 (in contrast to KDE4.0/KDE4.1). However, there were not really new features,
just a bit of polisihing and fixing of bugs introduced with the port to the
KDE4/Qt4 libraries.

There is a need for a command line version, which can write back files after
filtering/merging/..., as well as an interest to use parts of KCachegrind from pure
Qt applications (e.g. to embed parts into valkyrie, the Qt frontend for valgrind
from valgrind.org, or to make a plugin for Qt creator, the new Qt IDE).
Therefore, KCachegrind currently is split into libraries, one containing all the
non-GUI stuff (internal data model, import filter), and one containing the pure
visualization views; however, the API is not fixed yet.

Neverless, you can already compile a pure Qt4 version: checkout from KDE SVN
the trunk/KDE/kdesdk/kcachegrind directory, go into src/qcachegrind and compile
with "qmake; make", run with "./qcachegrind". No KDE libs needed, just Qt4.4
with devel package. See this as example; "qcachegrind" definitly is a very
bad name for the tool ;-)

This will be made available as independent source packages from kcachegrind.sf.net.

> But have I can extract only this tool from that package??

For the KDE4 version, you need to checkout trunk/KDE/kdesdk, remove the
"add_subdirectory()" lines in the CMakeLists.txt apart from kcachegrind,
and run "cmake .; make; make install".

> And some words about the bug. Maybe you have fixed it already.

No, not yet. This issue is very known, and I have even a patch from
someone here. Aside from relayout of the tooltip, or provided algorithms
to shorten the symbol, the ultimate plan is to provide a hook, ie. a
optional custom script where all symbols are piped trough before display.

Josef