List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Backporting/switching a plugin for 4.2.1?
From:       Harald Hvaal <haraldhv () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2009-01-28 10:22:46

Hello

For the trunk ark, I realized some time ago that there is a lot of duplicate
code between the RAR and 7zip plugin in Ark. The reason is that they are both
formats controlled through command-line applications, so the solution was
clear: make a common class for command-line-based archive formats, and use it
for both of the formats (and any other formats one might want to try it out
with).

And I'm wondering, is it possible to implement this plugin in trunk, and then
backport it for 4.2.x once it is safe enough? For the user there would be no
change, as it will still use the same desktop file, and the plugin would still
use the same interface, only the implementation would be rewritten to use
another superclass. I would off course also have to add this particular
superclass into libkerfuffle (the weirdly named library where all the
extraction logic of Ark is found).

Is this possible? Or will the current implementation have to be maintained
until 4.3? (The problem is of course that I will be implementing this class
either way, as it will allow very easily adding support for more command-line
based formats quickly, but it would be a pain to keep bugfixing the old 4.2
implementation for six months)

--
Harald Hvaal
haraldhv@stud.ntnu.no