List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Is this a KDE bug or a VirtualBox one ?
From:       "A.J. Venter" <aj () outkastsolutions ! co ! za>
Date:       2009-01-16 8:16:09

I tested after your mail and can confirm it partially (I have the same
video chipset btw).
VLC with opengl firstly has a problem with the window management, it
keeps drawing the video window over all other interface elements
making the menu's etc. completely unusable.
Secondly - in the opengl(glx) section of the settings, there is an
option for "alternate fullscreen method" the default works fine
(barring the above rendering issue) but if you enable this, it cause
VLC on attempting fullscreen to lock up and stop playing. This may
well be related to your issue though I was not able to replicate a
full X crash on my side (this could easily just be some other setting
that's different between the two systems).

Ciao
A..J.
> This may be entirely unrelated, but I'm running kde trunk and for a
> while I've had an
> issue where having vlc (using opengl output) go fullscreen will lock
> the screen then
> crash X. Using an intel 945 chipset - I'd assumed it was a bug in the
> driver, but it
> does sound slightly similar to yours. Perhaps it's worth trying to see
> if you hit the
> same issue.

Well I've got the same chipset, but I don't really use VLC.

A.J. Venter
Tel.: +27 21 554 5059
Fax: +27 11 252 9197
Outkast Solutions IT
www.outkastsolutions.co.za
A division of Global Pact Trading Pty Ltd.

www.silentcoder.co.za - Blog
scartoonz.silentcoder.co.za - ScarToonz webcomic