List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Where is located the code of oxygen style
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-01 19:37:01

> Therefore, they should obey
> the style for that platform (whatever the style is) and not try to
> override the style decisions with hacks or stylesheets.

The obvious question is "do users think it looks good or not"?  I
think it depends on the expectations the target audience have on each
platform, on Windows of course Microsoft are very much encouraging
users to use non-stock backgrounds and themes for certain
applications - hence Expression Blend - and I get the impression that
the new Yahoo Messenger WPF client is pretty much what they had in
mind.  For 'business' applications maybe not so much.

On Mac, Apple set a look and feel and the expectation appears to be
that others follow it.
On Linux, there isn't such a clear answer, although if consulted the
vocal minority will usually tell you that it should look 'native'
(which usually means the current KDE or Gnome theme).

> For example, the horrid Windows file dialog (or the GTK one)
> should be avoided at all costs.

The Windows Vista and KDE 4.2 file dialogs have the same basic layout,
there are some
differences in the feature set I'm sure but to me they don't seem all
that different.  With regards to GTK,
fair enough.

Regards,
Robert.