List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma taking 30% of CPU
From:       Dorin <dorin.scutarasu () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-04 20:15:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Edward Hughes IV <echughesiv@gmail.com>wrote:

>> Qt

>> repo
>> >
>> > I can confirm this. My systray was not displaying classic systray icons
>> with
>> > Qt 4.4.0 from main repo, but it works with 4.4.3 from KDE:Qt44 repo.
>>
>> Confirmed.
>> I moved from KDE:Qt to KDE::Qt44 and the problem is gone! Yay!
>> (please note that Sven wrote the exact opposite to get it to work)
>>
>> And it seemed to be the same Qt version from a quick look, weirdness.
>>
>> Toma
>

> Hello :)
>
> I've been following this list for several months now to see how KDE4 is
> progressing.  I have been running and testing trunk for the last few months
> and it's great!  Every week when I do an 'svn up' I can't wait to see what
> I'll get!
>
> This particular thread has been of interest to me lately as I have been
> seeing a similar problem on my Kubuntu 8.10 install on my Gen B Macbook, but
> I don't yet know if it is related.  When sitting idle for only a few
> minutes, I hear my fans spin up like turbines.   A quick look at the cpu
> history shows that it has been pegged at 50% (one full core) and Xorg is the
> culprit.  Any mouse movement or keyboard input causes the "problem" to
> disapper (as I am typing this the cpu usage is <5%).
>
> Based on the recent advice to try different Qt versions, I switched from
> the Intrepid repo copy (4.4.3) to qt-copy from the svn repo.  No change.
> I've tried changing from the intel video driver to i810 - no change.  A few
> weeks back it was thought that the systray applet was the culprit, so I
> lived without that for a while but still had the problem.  I've installed -
> gasp! - the gnome desktop to see if it truely is a problem with Xorg and the
> problem goes away!?
>
> I've been trying to troubleshoot this as much as I can on my own but I'm
> stumped.  As I said I'm not sure if this is related to plasma but based on
> my experiences it seems that it might be.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> -Edward

> unsubscribe <<

I had the same problem -- after being idle for a couple of minutes Xorg
appears to eat up 100% of one cpu core. It goes away after disabling
powerdevil  ( systemsettings -> advanced -> Service Manager -> uncheck
PowerDevil ).

Dorin

--
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who
think.(Horace Walpole)