List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma taking 30% of CPU
From:       "Edward Hughes IV" <echughesiv () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-04 17:03:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> Op Saturday 29 November 2008 21:41 schreef u:
> > >
> > > Yep, one guy stated that switching from the KDE:Qt44 to the KDE:Qt repo
> > > solved his systray and CPU issues.
> >
> > I can confirm this. My systray was not displaying classic systray icons
> with
> > Qt 4.4.0 from main repo, but it works with 4.4.3 from KDE:Qt44 repo.
>
> Confirmed.
> I moved from KDE:Qt to KDE::Qt44 and the problem is gone! Yay!
> (please note that Sven wrote the exact opposite to get it to work)
>
> And it seemed to be the same Qt version from a quick look, weirdness.
>
> Toma

Hello :)

I've been following this list for several months now to see how KDE4 is
progressing.  I have been running and testing trunk for the last few months
and it's great!  Every week when I do an 'svn up' I can't wait to see what
I'll get!

This particular thread has been of interest to me lately as I have been
seeing a similar problem on my Kubuntu 8.10 install on my Gen B Macbook, but
I don't yet know if it is related.  When sitting idle for only a few
minutes, I hear my fans spin up like turbines.   A quick look at the cpu
history shows that it has been pegged at 50% (one full core) and Xorg is the
culprit.  Any mouse movement or keyboard input causes the "problem" to
disapper (as I am typing this the cpu usage is <5%).

Based on the recent advice to try different Qt versions, I switched from the
Intrepid repo copy (4.4.3) to qt-copy from the svn repo.  No change.  I've
tried changing from the intel video driver to i810 - no change.  A few weeks
back it was thought that the systray applet was the culprit, so I lived
without that for a while but still had the problem.  I've installed - gasp!
- the gnome desktop to see if it truely is a problem with Xorg and the
problem goes away!?

I've been trying to troubleshoot this as much as I can on my own but I'm
stumped.  As I said I'm not sure if this is related to plasma but based on
my experiences it seems that it might be.

Any thoughts?

-Edward