On Monday 01 December 2008 09:00:13 Luciano Montanaro wrote: > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Matthias Burtscher > > wrote: > > Hello out there! > > > > Yesterday I had the pleasure to listen to speech on KDE4 (especially KDE > > 4.2 and future) again and I really like it. I think that KDE has much > > more potential to be the one future desktop on Linux. I'm saying this > > although I'm using Gnome (Ubuntu) mostly. > > > > But I am wondering why there is no approach to bring new technologies > > like Mono into KDE. I think it would be a much more developer friendly > > and also faster and cleaner way to build applications. And I think that > > most of you - who know the concept behind Mono/.Net - agree with this. > > > > I know that there are QT bindings (Qyoto) for Mono/.Net, but I miss > > bindings/libraries for the KDE core. There isn't even any page on the > > KDE website which covers the topic of developing for KDE on Mono basis. > > > > Since I'm not the guru who has the know-how to create these libraries > > and bindings, I just want to know if there is any approach on providing > > such things or not. > > I know there are Qt binding for mono but... > Hasn't mono its own libraries, doing roughly what Qt offers? > I think binding an application to both Qt and mono would increase > dependancies without any great advantage. > > Now if you already have a mono application, and want some optional > integration with KDE, it could be useful. > > But if you want to develop a new KDE application, I think there are > better options: You're welcome to use them then. Other people may well have different preferences to you and enjoy writing code in C#/ Basic .NET and the other CLR based languages. > -Qt/C++ native applications Yes obviously very good if you can code in C++ and enjoy doing it, then KDE is a great framework for writing apps in C++. Not everyone can write in C++ though. Additionally, there are many things you can do in other languages that you just can't do in C++, even if you know C++ well. > -Qt/Java is supported by the trolls There are no QtJambi based bindings for KDE4. > -Python bindings for Qt are being used quite a lot already, as far as I > see... Well Python isn't exactly similar to C#. Note that there are very complete Ruby bindings for a huge set of the Qt and KDE frameworks too. -- Richard >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<