List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Development with Mono/C#
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Alexis_M=E9nard?=" <menard () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-30 14:33:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Matthias Burtscher <
matthias.burtscher@gmx.at> wrote:

> Hello out there!
>
> Yesterday I had the pleasure to listen to speech on KDE4 (especially KDE
> 4.2 and future) again and I really like it. I think that KDE has much
> more potential to be the one future desktop on Linux. I'm saying this
> although I'm using Gnome (Ubuntu) mostly.
>
> But I am wondering why there is no approach to bring new technologies
> like Mono into KDE. I think it would be a much more developer friendly
> and also faster and cleaner way to build applications. And I think that
> most of you - who know the concept behind Mono/.Net - agree with this.

Depending on a closed company like Microsoft to have new APIs, new
technologies, new improvements is i think a bad point. Mono just implement
.Net APIs, this project has no creativity. Ok .Net is developer friendly,
yes but comparing to first point it is nothing. We have already a toolkit
with Qt which save us a bit from C++ crap. Gnome start to port their
applications to Mono, that is their choices. I don't want to start a
flameware here but i think it is a very bad idea.

*not completly neutral*
Another point is that the innvation in Qt is more faster than Mono.

> I know that there are QT bindings (Qyoto) for Mono/.Net, but I miss
> bindings/libraries for the KDE core. There isn't even any page on the
> KDE website which covers the topic of developing for KDE on Mono basis.

Having binding for non C++ developpers is a good point, but i guess that KDE
won't to push Mono more.