On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Matthias Burtscher <matthias.burtscher@gmx.at> wrote:
Hello out there!

Yesterday I had the pleasure to listen to speech on KDE4 (especially KDE
4.2 and future) again and I really like it. I think that KDE has much
more potential to be the one future desktop on Linux. I'm saying this
although I'm using Gnome (Ubuntu) mostly.

But I am wondering why there is no approach to bring new technologies
like Mono into KDE. I think it would be a much more developer friendly
and also faster and cleaner way to build applications. And I think that
most of you - who know the concept behind Mono/.Net - agree with this.

Depending on a closed company like Microsoft to have new APIs, new technologies, new improvements is i think a bad point. Mono just implement .Net APIs, this project has no creativity. Ok .Net is developer friendly, yes but comparing to first point it is nothing. We have already a toolkit with Qt which save us a bit from C++ crap. Gnome start to port their applications to Mono, that is their choices. I don't want to start a flameware here but i think it is a very bad idea.

*not completly neutral*
Another point is that the innvation in Qt is more faster than Mono.

I know that there are QT bindings (Qyoto) for Mono/.Net, but I miss
bindings/libraries for the KDE core. There isn't even any page on the
KDE website which covers the topic of developing for KDE on Mono basis.

Having binding for non C++ developpers is a good point, but i guess that KDE won't to push Mono more.

Since I'm not the guru who has the know-how to create these libraries
and bindings, I just want to know if there is any approach on providing
such things or not.

Best regards,
Matthias