List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: lock kde sessions
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-10-08 10:11:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Karthik,

On Wednesday 08 October 2008 01:05:55 Karthik Paithankar wrote:
> > Cool. I was the one who did the initial version of this
> > (for KDE3). Really
> > nice to see someone picking it up :)
>
> The problem is I am not well educated in KDE/Xorg to get it done. Following
> comments from Michael Howell, Thiago Macieira it seems quite complicated
> and beyond my capabilities.
>
> Would you mind having a look at hibernate-script, if you have some time.

Hm, I'm not using it since the distro tools work OK for me (and I usually use
s3, so little use for suspend2/hibernate) -- meaning it's not too high on my
personal priority list right now.

Then, I think the hibernate script should be hooked into the HAL call to
suspend to disk (you can do that manually by hacking the HAL scripts located
in /usr/lib/hal/scripts on Kubuntu for example). That way, it would really
integrate into the system (not in the half-assed way the hibernate script
would do otherwise.

The problem with the current approach (running "hibernate" by hand, not having
HAL calling hibernate) is that the UI bits that are in KDE (powerdevil, in
fact) will be ignored. You can set up "lock screen" there. The GUI mechanism
(for example from the shutdown dialog, from kickoff or from the battery
applet) will call the HAL mechanism, which then in turn means that all the
settings for the hibernate script will be ignored.

So not sure I find it worth it to put time into doing something that won't
work well anyway (see above). Much rather, the hibernate script should be used
by HAL (making all problems go away ;-)).

Cheers,
--
sebas