List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Does KDE4 support icons for user-added mime-types?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-10-03 3:21:55

Kris Moore wrote:
> Hopefully a quick question :)
>
> On KDE3 it was rather easy to provide a new mime type for a file
> extension, such as .pbc, and KDE3 would display the specified icon for
> it no problem. However, on KDE4 I'm having trouble doing the same thing.
> Here's an example of what we got:
>
> /usr/local/share/mime/packages/PBICreator.xml:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
>    <mime-type type="application/PBI Creator00">
>           <comment>PBI Creator0 File</comment>
>           <comment xml:lang="en">PBI Creator0 File</comment>
>           <glob pattern="*.pbc"/>
>           <desktop>PBICreator.desktop</desktop>
>    </mime-type>
> </mime-info>
>

> /usr/local/share/applnk/.hidden/PBICreator.desktop:
> [Desktop Entry]
> Exec=/Programs/PBICreator4.91/.sbin/PBC
> Icon=/Programs/PBICreator4.91/kpackage.png
> InitialPreference=1
> MimeType=application/PBI Creator00
> Name=PBI Creator0
>

> Now, this does indeed work at registering the .pbc extension as opening
> with this particular desktop entry, just as it did in KDE3, so we know
> it is associating the .pbc extension properly. However, the icon for any
> .pbc files never shows up in dolphin or konq, just a big "?" mark
> instead. Is this something which is broken in KDE4, or has been changed?
> So far I've not been able to find any real docs on it :P

All you need to do is give the MIME type icon the proper name.  Which
would be:

	application-PBI Creator00

and put it (or them) in the:

	$KDEDIR/share/icons/<style>/<size>/mimetypes/

directories.

However, I'm not certain if this will work with a " " (blank) in the
MIME type icon's name -- that might not be legal.

--
JRT