List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdebase/workspace/powerdevil
From:       Colin Guthrie <gmane () colin ! guthr ! ie>
Date:       2008-09-30 22:43:33

Dario,

Dario Freddi wrote:
> SVN commit 866447 by dafre:
>
> Moving most stuff from PowerManagementConnector to the new SuspensionLockHandler.
> Result? Now inhibiting suspension works.
>
> Application developers, you can now easily prevent the PC from suspending. It's enough to
> call the method "Inhibit" on org.kde.Solid.PowerManagement.Inhibit, specifying your application
> name and the reason why you want to inhibit.

This is really good, but can i ask if org.kde.Solid.PowerManagement is a
"new" dbus path? If so, would you consider changing this (sooner the
better) to a more cross desktop friendly version?

See this thread from over two years ago on the freedesktop cross desktop
list, which talks about much the same stuff.

It's starts off talking about the org.gnome.blah interfaces but then
moves on to org.freedesktop.

http://marc.info/?l=freedesktop-xdg&m=117278191811786&w=2

The second message in the thread mentions KDE, so hopefully this is
nothing new. I'm not sure if it went anywhere, but it's no doubt worth a
look and a quick chat with the relevant folks from fdo and gnome.

Certainly I know that gnome-power-manager uses
org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.

After some brief fiddling with qdbusviewer:

It has org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit with an Inhibit method
which takes two arguments: an application and a reason. This returns a
cookie which can then be used to Uninhibit. There are also signals for
when inhibit state changes and a couple other methods too.

This seems very similar to the org.kde.Solid.PowerManagement interface
from your description.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie