List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PowerDevil and Display KCM
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-28 23:43:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Dario,

On Monday 29 September 2008 00:38:58 Dario Freddi wrote:
> I've recently implemented in PowerDevil support for screen Energy (aka
> monitor suspend, standby and poweroff), a functionality that was offered by
> the "Display" KCM.
>
> In PowerDevil it's now an option in profiles, so that it can change
> dynamically, depending on the user's needs.

Nice :)

> The question now is if the Display KCM is still needed. The only scenario
> where it would be still needed is on a system that doesn't run PowerDevil,
> but still needs Energy support, and this is quite unlikely IMHO.
>
> I'd like to hear some opinions/thoughts, since by now we're offering the
> same option twice in two different manners.

The same, or conflicting ones, even? Powerdevil will override the settings
from that dialogue when switching profile, no?

DPMS is something most users will want to change, removing the Display KCM
(which makes most sense technically) will move that option from "right there
in your face" in system settings to "well hidden behind four clicks".
Currently, it's 1 click vs. 4 clicks, in system settings -> advanced -> power
management -> edit profile -> screen energy.) So if we remove the Display KCM,
we could move powerdevil to that section (so from the advanced tab to the
Computer Administration section), saving at least one click to get there.

The Display module offers 3 settings to basically do one thing: switch off the
screen (standby, suspend, power off). I've done some casual testing a while
ago, and I didn't find any noticable difference between those three states.
For a user, it might make sense to just have a visible "Switch off display
after [N] minutes" (then the display standbys after N minutes, suspends after
n+5 minutes and powers off after N+10 minutes) and we don't offer this detail
in a primary UI. In powerdevil's profile editor, it's clear that this setting
applies only to the profile. We could offer such a knob in the Plasma applet,
it would then override current's profile setting, and possibly be overwritten
the next time the profile is changed (like unplugging AC) :/. What do yo think
makes most sense here?

BTW, I also wonder where the screensaver ties in here. To me, DPMS is just a
modern way of a screensaver -- so it makes sense to put them close to each
other in the UI.

Some input from ui designer overlords would be useful here...
--
sebas