List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdevelop project file generation
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-09-25 6:50:08

On 24.09.08 18:54:54, Yannick Cholette wrote:
> On September 23, 2008 14:39:09 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 23.09.08 14:29:15, Yannick Cholette wrote:
> > > Hello everyone, my name is Yannick and I'm starting to get myself into
> > > kde developing. I'm planning to use kdevelop to do so and I ran into a
> > > simple problem while trying to generate kdevelop project files. I have
> > > put  -GKDevelop3 as an option to cmake, but it seems to only generate
> > > the file for kdebase, not for every applications. I've look at the
> > > "Getting Started" pages of the techbase website and it looks like I have
> > > everything properly setup. In my cmakekde bash function I have: cmake
> > > "$srcFolder" -GKDevelop3 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR. Is that enough
> > > or is there something else I need to do?
> >
> > Thats correct, you only get a project file for the cmake project you're
> > building. If you want to have a .kdevelop file per application, then
> > just start up kdevelop and choose "import existing project". Navigate to
> > the source directory of the application and import it as custom makefile
> > project. Then make sure to set the build directory under the project
> > options and eventually the binary executable. That should be everything
> > you need.
>
> Thanks, I'm still working around a few quirks, but it seems to be working. On
> the Import Existing Project dialog, I had the choice between Generic C++
> Application (Custom Buildsystem) or Generic C++ Application (Automake based).
> I end up up using the last one as the custom buildsystem option gave me some
> error about not finding any source files. Was it this you meant by "custom
> makefile"?

If you're using a cmake project then "Automake based" is completely
wrong. That won't work properly. The custom buildsystem option should be
used. It should ask you three things upon importing:

- wether you want to populate the project list - choose yes here to tell
  kdevelop which of the files in the source directory are project files
- a list of matching rules for files that should be considered project
  files
- a tree to adjust the automatic selection that kdevelop has done based
  on the matching rules

After that you need to adjust the builddir to point to a directory where
you've run cmake from a commandline and of course the executable to
start - both are under Project->Project Options in Build and Run.

Andreas

--
A day for firm decisions!!!!!  Or is it?