List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Debugging plasma / KIO slowdown?
From:       Kris Moore <kris () pcbsd ! com>
Date:       2008-09-22 13:29:19

> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:43:35 -0400
> From: "Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper" <vr@movingparts.net>
> Subject: Re: Debugging plasma / KIO slowdown?
> To: kde-devel@kde.org
>
> On 9/19/08, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
>> (snippity)
>> no, it turns it that it was (wait for it .. wait for it ..) the binary
>> nvidia
>> driver.
>>
>> *sigh*
>>

> ugh. I'm seeing the same problems here, on a thinkpad t61 laptop and the
> proprietary nvidia drivers. is there a workaround or solution for this?
>
> as an aside, the latest beta (177.76) seems to make this a little better,
> but the problem is still very noticeably there. =:(

The only workaround / solution I've found is to not use the nvidia
drivers at the moment :(

As soon as we switch to vesa / nv, the problem goes away, and the
desktop feels super responsive again. We're using the 177.70 beta driver
on FreeBSD, and so far I haven't been able to find any magic combination
of settings which fixes the slow plasma / desktop response times.

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software