List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE-3.5.10+ FAM, INotify, DNotify
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-09-17 22:39:31

What is the status of file alteration monitoring in the KDE-3.5 BRANCH?

The last release of FAM was 2.7.0 in +/- 11/2003.  I obtained a DNotify
patch from a link at Linux From Scratch:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/downloads/6.1/fam-2.7.0-dnotify-1.patch

After 6.1, BLFS replaced it with Gamin.

I find that FAM will still compile with only minor tweaks to the Includes.

Should we continue to use FAM or should I install Gamin instead of FAM?
  Will KDE find this to use in place of FAM although FAM appears to be
found and KDELibs builds against it OK?

I presume that if I am using the DNotify pach that I shouldn't compile
KDELibs with: "--enable-dnotify".  It appears that: "--enable-inotify"
is the default.  And here I find a problem.  "config.log" says:

configure:55334: checking for Linux Inotify Notification
configure:55439: result: no

I checked my Kernel configuration and it has:

CONFIG_DNOTIFY=y
CONFIG_INOTIFY=y
CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER=y

I have Kernel-2.6.25.4 and am upgrading.

so, it appears that I have a problem.  I will look at this in more
detail before I file a bug report.

Any suggestions?

--
JRT