List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mailody question
From:       Randy Kramer <rhkramer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-08 12:05:57

On Monday 08 September 2008 06:52 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2008 11:40:56 you wrote:
> > Just to expand (further :-)): there are mail providers (e.g. some ISPs,
> > gmail, a lot of internal company servers) that allow you to choose between
> > POP3 and IMAP, or force use of IMAP.

> No, not complicating it.  I wonder how common this is?  I haven't seen it
> mentioned as available from most home-user ISPs - though I haven't done any
> homework on this.  It's a good solution if it's available - I just don't
know
> how many people would have that option.

IME, quite a few ISP's offer the option to read your mail via IMAP, including
my previous ISP (FastNet, now named something else (USLEC), and maybe even
renamed again), my current ISP (RCN), and, iirc, my dad's ISP (Verizon).

I always preferrred to download my mail to my machine and store what I wanted
on my machine.

IMAP does give you the advantage of being able to read mail from any location,
without resorting to kludge's like the POP3 option to not delete your mail
after downloading.  (IMAP keeps your mail on the IMAP server, unless of
course, you delete it.)

Gee, the more I write, the more I feel like I'm confusing the issue.

Randy Kramer
--
"I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead."--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.