List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mailody question
From:       Tom Albers <tomalbers () kde ! nl>
Date:       2008-09-08 11:40:24

Op maandag 08 september 2008 12:03 schreef u:
> On Monday 08 September 2008 10:52:45 Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> > On Monday 08 September 2008 11:33:50 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Could someone please give me a clear definition of what this would mean
> > > to the average POP3 downloading user, who just reads his mail currently
> > > in kmail?
> >
> > It means you need to install an imap server, download messages for your
> > mail account by pop3 to it and then use Mailody to read your mail on your
> > own imap server.
> >
> > Kind of tricky and not even necessary (IMHO). Kmail works just fine for me!
> >
> Most users neither want nor need a server, since they only have one PC or
> laptop.  We have been led to believe that a new mail application using
> akonadi was the solution to many of the problems of kmail.  Where does this
> leave us?  If kmail can't use akonadi and mailody can't be used without a
> mail server, what is the average user going to do?
>
> I really hope that someone has a solution to this, because there's going to be
> a lot of grief on the lists if there isn't one.
>
> Anne

Hi Anne,

Mailody (I'm the author btw) is the only mail client capable of using Akonadi, but it \
is not yet ready for production use. In other words: there is no released version of \
Mailody suitable for end users.

KMail is the prefered email client, currently not based on Akonadi. If KMail gets \
ported to Akonadi, I'm sure there will be a pop3 resource available for Akonadi by \
that time. If that happens Mailody automatically gains the possibility to use pop3 as \
well.

So people should just use KMail and everything will just be fine.

Just remember that we will not deploy Akonadi to a large group of users without \
making absolutely sure the stuff works. We will not gamble with users email.

The quote from the website was just a workaround for people wanting to try Mailody \
based on KDE3, which has no pop3-support. You can install a *local* imap server and \
fetch the message to it and then you can use Mailody. I don't think anyone ever did \
it (except me of course).

Best,

Toma