>Hi,

>I second that.
>I understand the feature from a security standpoint, and i suppose i doesn't hurt as an added security layer. However, being able to configure it >simply configure it through a (read only,root owned) configuration file would have helped me in the situation i was in when i originally posted this >question. I am glad it sparked this discussion .

>If an evil-intended someone achieves to modify this file by getting root write privilege, well there's much worse he/she could do than modifying >kdesu's path don't you think ?.

I am not sure it should be separately configurable. As somebody else pointed out, su also overrides the path, and the override (as well as the new path) can be configured through PAM – I would say the logical answer then is that kdesu should inherit those PAM settings and follow them religiously. That way there is a single point of configuration for su path’s regardless of whether it’s commandline or KDE su. Moreover it shifts the burden of keeping that configuration secure back to the OS where it belongs – more specifically to the PAM developers rather than the KDE devs. As a final bonus – it means a single point for finding and fixing su PATH security bugs across the entire system.

Ciao

A.J.

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to DataCash Group plc and its group companies. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please forward it to info@datacash.com with the subject line "Received in Error". If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy, print, distribute or rely on this email or any transmitted files. DataCash Ltd is registered in England and Wales no. 3430157. DataCash Ltd is part of the DataCash Group plc. DataCash Group plc is registered in England and Wales no. 3168091. DataCash Ltd and DataCash Group plc registered address is Descartes House, 8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP, United Kingdom.

Save a tree...Please only print this page if essential