Hi,

I second that.
I understand the feature from a security standpoint, and i suppose i doesn't hurt as an added security layer. However, being able to configure it simply configure it through a (read only,root owned) configuration file would have helped me in the situation i was in when i originally posted this question. I am glad it sparked this discussion .

If an evil-intended someone achieves to modify this file by getting root write privilege, well there's much worse he/she could do than modifying kdesu's path don't you think ?.

Regards,

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Gary Greene <greeneg@tolharadys.net> wrote:
On Friday 05 September 2008 04:25:42 pm Anders Lövgren wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2008 08.40.13 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 02:52:43AM +0200, Anders Lövgren wrote:
> > > The modified $PATH will at least protect against e.g. running a bad
> > > ~/bin/cat from a program or script that happens to use whatever cat
> > > that comes first in the $PATH.
> >
> > *how* is a bad cat supposed to get into ~/bin, huh? why do you want to
> > secure the door of an obviously blown up house?
>
> Regarding the *how*, huh? and ~/bin: you had an idea about it yourself in
> your previous mail, why asking me? :-)
>
> I don't think we need to discuss the *how* further here, theres better
> forums for that. For the second question I would like to switch the
> viewpoint: If the house is not blown up, why not lock the door?

> >> unsubscribe <<

Anders,

Its not the "why not lock the door" issue I think that Ossi is commenting on,
but rather the fact that this is completely UN-CONFIGURABLE. If I want this
feature as a paranoid user, it should be managed by a configuration file that
is read only versus plain hardcoding paths in the code. This way if _I_ don't
want/need it, I can set my system up as I want without patching the code
unnecessarily.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth