List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Who can help me re aRts?
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-05 21:40:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 05 September 2008 18:14:17 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >> Sorry to say that aRts is broken.  The problem appears to be
> >> incomparability with the current version of glib.
> >>
> >> This suggests that it might be possible to include the last version of
> >> glib that works with it and either statically link it or link it to the
> >> specific version.
> >>
> >> IIRC, I had some stuff working before my sound hardware quit working.
> >>
> >> I used the SVN for the aRts branch:
> >>
> >> svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/arts/1.5/arts
> >>
> >> and I applied the patches contained in the latest Fedora SRPM for arts:
> >>
> >>      arts-1.1.4-debug.patch
> >>      arts-1.3.1-alsa.patch
> >>      arts-1.3.92-glib2.patch
> >>      arts-1.4.0-glibc.patch
> >>      arts-1.5.0-check_tmp_dir.patch
> >>      arts-1.5.2-multilib.patch
> >>
> >> This is a black art and I do not make any promises.
> >>
> >> Do not try to use Kaboodle and Noatun.  Install other multimedia
> >> players.  I found that Kaffine worked best.  Totem (GNOME) was nice till
> >> I started having problems with it.
> >
> > I've often found Kaboodle and Noatun to be non-functional.  I think that
> > the advice you are giving wrt to aRts patches would only be suitable for
> > quite advanced users, which is not where userbase is really aimed.
>
> It is necessary for anyone that builds aRts from source.
>
> So, you either need to install the binary package for your disto or use
> the patches.  Unpatched aRts won't work at all with the current glib.

OK - so that leaves a quandary.  Where do we draw the line between technical
information for advanced users and technical information for developers?

We have to decide where to put the advanced user stuff, and IMO we need to
decide it as quickly as possible so that we can be consistent.  Thoughts?

Anne