List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesu overrides user's PATH with hardcoded path
From:       "Parker Coates" <parker.coates () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-05 20:14:03

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 15:15, Elio Cuevas Gómez <elcugo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see the point of this discussion. This is feature is a good
> idea wether it's actually useful in the real world isn't really that
> important. It's an extra bit of security and every bit of security
> counts. Unless it would make the system less secure I don't see why
> this should be argued about.

Because it can break a user's custom $PATH.

I'm not saying it's a good idea or a bad idea. I just want to clarify
that it's not an issue of just adding more security, it's an issue of
trading some functionality for some security.

If security were the only goal, than KDE could just disable all
network cards, which would greatly increase system security, but most
user's would probably complain about the reduced functionality. ;-)

Parker