List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesu overrides user's PATH with hardcoded path
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-05 16:27:44

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 06:09:14AM -0700, Michael Howell wrote:
> > do you know how ridiculously improbable it is that you get a security
> > hole that allows you creating executable files in ~/bin but nothing
> > else?
>
> Break a program that isn't being run as root (e.g. a web browser), you don't
> get root privileges. Conveniently, ~/bin is in the user's home directory. It
> isn't "a security hole that allows you creating executable files in ~/bin
> but nothing else", it's "I want them to run this executable, I'm not
> interested in hosing their ~".

this makes no sense. when i break into a user's account, i can fully
control it, including kdesu itself. i.e., su-ing from a compromised
account is inherently insecure and no amount of breaking established
ways to legitimately influence the execution flow will fix the problem.

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.