List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Who can help me re aRts?
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-04 18:12:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 04 September 2008 15:51:53 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > From googling, I gather that there is no aRts maintainer, but I'm
> > guessing that someone is still around who can give me some general
> > guidance.  This is for the userbase wiki.
> >
> > Since KDE 3.x will be around for some time, and since sound often is
> > problematic, I thought that migrating
> > http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=aRts%20Troubleshooting would be
> > useful.  However it's obvious that parts of it are very out of date.
> > Obviously I've removed the speculation about KDE 4 and started with "KDE
> > 3.x uses the aRts sound system".
> >
> > If someone could simply tell me which parts are still relevant and which
> > should be deleted it would be most helpful.
>
> Sorry to say that aRts is broken.  The problem appears to be
> incomparability with the current version of glib.
>
> This suggests that it might be possible to include the last version of
> glib that works with it and either statically link it or link it to the
> specific version.
>
> IIRC, I had some stuff working before my sound hardware quit working.
>
> I used the SVN for the aRts branch:
>
> svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/arts/1.5/arts
>
> and I applied the patches contained in the latest Fedora SRPM for arts:
>
> 	arts-1.1.4-debug.patch
> 	arts-1.3.1-alsa.patch
> 	arts-1.3.92-glib2.patch
> 	arts-1.4.0-glibc.patch
> 	arts-1.5.0-check_tmp_dir.patch
> 	arts-1.5.2-multilib.patch
>
> This is a black art and I do not make any promises.
>
> Do not try to use Kaboodle and Noatun.  Install other multimedia
> players.  I found that Kaffine worked best.  Totem (GNOME) was nice till
> I started having problems with it.

I've often found Kaboodle and Noatun to be non-functional.  I think that the
advice you are giving wrt to aRts patches would only be suitable for quite
advanced users, which is not where userbase is really aimed.  At that level,
I think that the advice to severely cut down the 'idle time' setting is all
that is relevant at this time.

Thanks, though, for replying.

Anne