List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-08-28 22:21:24

macintoshzoom wrote:
> I confused (konqueror lied me) soft and hard linked files, (which I
> ignored the existence till today, nor I understand yet why those hard
> links are useful).

Well, a hardlink is a real inode entry, not a symlink, so things that
look for symlinks will see it as a regular file. Also, fwiw it is very
difficult to find the other links of a hardlink (well, it is also hard
to find what symlinks may exist to any particular target as well, but of
course the other way is easy).

> # cd /usr/ports/packages/i386/cdrom
> # ls -i kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
> 890218 kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
> # cd /usr/ports/packages/i386/all
> # ls -i kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
> 890218 kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
> #
>
> As both have the same inode # 890218, so they are the same file, not
> twice space used on my hard drive.
>
> Which one is the good real one? Don't know yet

Neither. Unlike symlinks, all hardlinks are equal.

--
Matthew
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no