List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Build instructions on KDE TechBase for 4.x release or BRANCH
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-08-28 21:58:44

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Someone screwed up this Wiki page:
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x#Required_packages_from_your_distribution
>>

>> I do not own this page despite that fact that I wrote most of it.
>> However, I wanted to note that the changes were not consistent so
>> as a result, following the directions would NOT work.
>>
>> Now, I need to add content for the dependencies for KDE-4.1.x.
>>
>> KDEsupport contains a lot of stuff.  Are all these required:
>>
>> akonadi
>
> I forget what akonadi is (yeah, shame on me ;-) ) but IIRC you want
> it.
>
>> eigen eigen2
>
> Ah, I think eigen is going away, but for 4.1 I think only eigen is
> wanted and eigen2 can be safely ignored for 4.1 (but best check with
>  Benoît Jacob).
>
>> taglib
>
> I think you can do without taglib if you don't care about the music
> library stuff (but really, if you want to build multimedia and/or
> amarok, you want taglib)
>
>> soprano
>
> Same as the comment on akonadi.
>
>> qimageblitz phonon
>
> These two are needed, yes, though I forget what all is using blitz.
> No sound w/o phonon :-).
>
>> cpptoxml
>
> Um, this is either not needed, or needed for tons of dbus stuff :-).
> But I think I was not building it for the longest time and getting
> by...

It gets installed and that is really all that I know. :-|

> I don't see telepathy/tapioca/decibel; these do something for Kopete
>  (though I don't know exactly what features they provide).

I don't either but they are not directly installed.  They are not in the
install_manifest.txt file.

> And of course automoc is *crucial*, but maybe you aren't listing
> things you know are needed ;-).

Yes, I didn't list that.  Is it needed if they are installed from
separate packages?

What I listed are the directories in: "kdesupport/CMakeLists.txt" so
they are, IIUC, what gets installed.

> That said, for stable it's probably best to use distro packages of
> all of the above, when possible.

Yes, but my distro is LFS (Linux from Scratch).

IAC, saying distro packages simply begs the question of which version is
required.

Perhaps we need to find someone that really knows about this.

--
JRT