List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Changes in Strigi caused build problems KDE4
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-08-22 3:08:09

Allen Winter wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 20:12:41 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>> This is from KDELibs:
>>>
>>> [ 45%] Building CXX object
>>> kio/kio/dummyanalyzers/CMakeFiles/dummy.dir/dummyanalyzers.o
>>> /usr/SVN/branches/KDE/4.1/kdelibs/kio/kio/dummyanalyzers/dummyanalyzers.cpp:43:
>>> error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual char
>>> DummyEndAnalyzer::analyze(Strigi::AnalysisResult&, Strigi::InputStream*)'
>>> /usr/local/KDE-4.1/include/strigi/streamendanalyzer.h:37: error:
>>> overriding 'virtual signed char
>>> Strigi::StreamEndAnalyzer::analyze(Strigi::AnalysisResult&,
>>> Strigi::InputStream*)'
>>> make[2]: ***
>>> [kio/kio/dummyanalyzers/CMakeFiles/dummy.dir/dummyanalyzers.o] Error 1
>>> make[1]: *** [kio/kio/dummyanalyzers/CMakeFiles/dummy.dir/all] Error 2
>>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>
>>> But I had the same error in other modules (KDESDK, etc.).
>>>
>>> Perhaps the problem is that we don't have a BRANCH or release for
>>> KDESupport 4.1.
>>>
>> My bad. Although there is no problem building KDELibs, the same problem:
>>
>> overriding 'virtual signed char
>> Strigi::StreamEndAnalyzer::analyze(Strigi::AnalysisResult&,
>> Strigi::InputStream*)'
>>
>> occurs in TRUNK in KDEPIM & KDESDK.
>>
> I'm fighting this too.
> I think the following should work:
> 1. make sure to install the lastest-and-greatest strigi from trunk/kdesupport

Yes, I have a script that does an SVN update before it builds.

> 2. export STRIGI_HOME=/path/to/strigi/installdir

I tried this but it made no difference.

> 3. remove the CMakeCache.txt files in kdelibs, kdepimlibs, etc. builddirs

Yes, the script does that.

> 4. build normally
>
> I install all KDE4 stuff in /data/kde, so for me STRIGI_HOME=/data/kde
>
> I think the problem is caused by having a distro Strigi package installed on my system
> that is being picked up first by the CMake buildsystem.

I don't think that I have any stray Strigi files installed anywhere, but
I am going to make a more through search.

Without my doing anything, TRUNK now builds against the current Strigi
TRUNK.  However, the 4.1 BRANCH will not -- if fails on KDELibs.

I wonder about the error.  It says that the offending type is: "signed
char".  Basically, "signed char" data is one of those features of C that
we would probably be better off without now that RAM is cheap.  That is,
"signed char" is not for character data it is for 8 bit signed integers.
  Unless there is something it Qt that forces us to use it (like it uses
signed integers where unsigned are usually preferred) I would rewrite it
to use either unsigned char or signed 16 bit integers.

--
JRT