List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for how to deal with documentation issues
From:       Duns Ens <dunsens () web ! de>
Date:       2008-08-18 15:05:28

On Monday 18 August 2008 05:05:15 Parker Coates wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 08:28, David Edmundson
>
> <david@davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> > Most wikis allow plug-ins to be written. It will take more work but it
> > should be do-able to add all this functionality, and possibly make the
> > output clearer. Currently all <guimenuitem> does is put a slightly grey
> > box behind it and then draws an arrow. It shouldn't be too hard to code
> > that.
>
> I think that you're missing the point of DocBook. It's a content
> markup language, not a presentational language. DocBook tags are used
> to indicate the meaning or type of infomation contained in them and
> are not associated with a particular formatting. In fact, DocBook has
> no graphical representation whatsoever until it is converted to some
> other format, using a style sheet. The stylesheet currently being used
> in KDE4 happens to display <guimenuitem> in a grey box with an arrow,
> but another stylesheet could use vibrating pink text or maybe a
> drawing of a duck instead.
The wiki is not a presentational language either (at least as far as i know
MediaWiki) there are plenty of different themes for it and what you do is
semantically format the article but not create visual items. That way I don't
see a conflict here. One just needs the appropriate wiki tags. By the way
MediaWiki is also adjusted for printing so shipping a handbook with a printing
stylesheet might not be very difficutl.

Cheers,
dunsens