List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for how to deal with documentation issues
From:       "Parker Coates" <parker.coates () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-18 3:05:15

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 08:28, David Edmundson
<david@davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> Most wikis allow plug-ins to be written. It will take more work but it should
> be do-able to add all this functionality, and possibly make the output
> clearer. Currently all <guimenuitem> does is put a slightly grey box behind it
> and then draws an arrow. It shouldn't be too hard to code that.

I think that you're missing the point of DocBook. It's a content
markup language, not a presentational language. DocBook tags are used
to indicate the meaning or type of infomation contained in them and
are not associated with a particular formatting. In fact, DocBook has
no graphical representation whatsoever until it is converted to some
other format, using a style sheet. The stylesheet currently being used
in KDE4 happens to display <guimenuitem> in a grey box with an arrow,
but another stylesheet could use vibrating pink text or maybe a
drawing of a duck instead.

I'm not commenting on whether or not DocBook best suits KDE's current
documentation needs (others are much more knowledgeable on that point)
I just want to make sure we all understand what we're discussing here.

Parker