List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesu overrides user's PATH with hardcoded path
From:       Romain <romainguinot () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-12 20:46:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I understand you guys on a security standpoint.
I guess what i was trying to say is that if a KDE application is relying on
system PATH to pickup an application , it will pickup the non localized
version of it . As you say this is probably good security wise and i didn't
think of it this way... Glad we discussed it.

My comment was general, now trying to find an example where this would be
annoying as someone mentionned i found a simple one :
looking at the simple clock applet, it is calling ntpdate that's on system
path , overriden by kdesu if you choose to sync your clock over NTP. Say you
wanted to use your own ntpdate for whichever reason, you would have to place
it in /bin for example , provided it is before the standard one located in
/usr/bin in the overriden path, instead of a */local variation...This is
indeed minor

I also agree that a code comment of why this is hardcoded would be nice .

Cheers ,
Romain.