List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introduction Of KOSD
From:       "Ben Cooksley" <sourtooth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-29 4:55:46

to avoid confusion i have renamed it KDisplay ( i have no affiliation
with the kde-apps kosd )

-what does it do for theming / visuals?
i am aware of the kde workspace system, and will ( in-future once i
find a particular colour property that looks correct under oxygen +
some other themes ( selection background + text looks pretty good ) )
read the theme in when displaying the on screen display.

-what sort of services does it provide?
it provides a unifed method for applications to display small on
screen displays that feature a image, some descriptive text & a
progress bar ( for example to say what the screen brightness is
currently ). it also allows non kde/qt/X applications to have
graphical progress representations ( utility loading progress could be
one excellent abuse of it ), that integrate into the current
environment, without having anything to do with displaying a osd
yourself. without it every application has to implement there own.

-how can it be extended as needed?
i used a system of arrays so extending it should be relatively simple,
with each type of option having its own subplace in the array
( example: adding secondary text display, extend settext to tell it
which label to set, and then use that to determine with place in the
array to write to )

i can also see why you don't think that kded is a appropriate place
after the kmilo issues that exist. kdisplay will continue using its
current independent process model, however i will convert it to a
kapplication from qapplication.

regarding the kde-apps kosd, it is too hard wired to its job of
displaying volume, screen brightness & battery level, meaning other
potential uses could not be realised. KDisplay allows any D-Bus aware
application to use it to its full potential.

however i will look into porting some parts of kosd ( kde-apps ) into
my application, in particular the mechanism that allows it to have
rounded corners, and borders on its displays.

also, sorry for using the org,kde namespace, i have switched my copy
to using net.homeip.cooksley.osd for now, which is my dyndns domain

also it appears i forgot to attach my dbus documentation, which is now attached.

Ben Cooksley

On 7/29/08, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> i am the developer of kosd, which is currently a standalone qt
>> application.
>> i would like help turning it into a kde service ( kded ).
>
> ok, so i actualy looked through the code in the attachment you provided (i
> didn't notice it the first time through); i have to agree with Pino that it
> would probably be good to see if you can collaborate with the other KOSD,
> and
> in particular look at ways to integrate that with KDE better.
>
> also, please do not register dbus services under the org.kde.* namespace
> unless your application is actually provided by kde.org =)
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo
> humru othro a kohnu se

["dbus documentation.txt" (text/plain)]

KDisplay - DBus API Reference

/Master

-getdisplay( QString displayname )
Creates A On Screen Display For Using The Display Name Provided As Its Identifier. \
This Is A Required Step So You Can Set The Text, Progress, Image, Time To Display And \
Then To Eventually Show It.

-deldisplay( QString displayname )
Deletes A On Screen Display That Has Been Previously Created, Destroying All Settings \
( Image, Text, Progress, Etc )

-settext( QString displayname, QString texttoset )
Sets The Text For The On Screen Display Specified. The Text Provided Will Be \
Displayed Above The Progress Bar, In A QLabel

-gettext( QString displayname )
Retrieves The On Screen Display's Text That Will Currently Be Set

-setprogress( QString displayname, int bar )
Sets The Progress For The On Screen Display Specified. The Number Provided Will \
Determine The Percentage ( /100 ) In A QProgressBar

-getprogress( QString displayname )
Retrieves The Progress For A Particular On Screen Display

-setimage( QString displayname, QString path )
Sets A Displays Image, Using The Path To A File Since QPixMaps Can't Be Passed Over \
D-Bus. KDisplay Then Loads This Into A QPixmap, Shrinks It To Fit A Certain Size And \
Sets It As The Content Of A QLabel

-getimage( QString displayname )
Gets The Path To A Image That Has Been Set For A Particular On Screen Display

-settime( QString displayname, int time2display )
Sets The Time ( In Seconds ) That A On Screen Display Will Remain On Screen After \
Being Shown. Anything Apart From 0 Will Display It For That Number Of Seconds. 0 Will \
Display It Indefinitely Until Hidden

-gettime( QString displayname )
Retrieves The Time For A On Screen Display

-setposition( QString displayname, int x, int y )
Sets The Position Of A On Screen Display On The Users Display. For Practicality The \
Screen Is Divided Into A 20x20 Grid, For Example 10x10 Is Putting The Display In The \
Center Of The Screen

-getpositionx( QString displayname )
Retrieves The X Axis Of The On Screen Display ( Exactly As You Provided )

-getpositiony( QString displayname )
Retrieves The Y Axis Of The On Screen Display ( Exactly As You Provided )

-showdisplay( QString displayname )
Finally, Allows Your Application To Show A On Screen Display

-hidedisplay( QString displayname )
Will Forcibly Hide Your Display, Instantly